Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thanks for all the support!




Well I just wanted to send out a big thank you to all my friends and family for their support over the last two years. I know at times I have been super stressed and exhausted at times, but I could not have done it without everyone's positive thoughts. So, I am sure you are thinking what is next... Well, I have two more papers due next week and am currently working on a take-home exam. Over the summer I will teach Leadership for 4 hours every Monday and Wednesday for Summer 1. Throughout the summer I will be working on my pre-comprehensive exam paper, which is a requirement before I can take my comprehensive exams. I will also, be studying for my comprehensive exams. I just found out due to a policy change that I will be taking my comprehensive exams, the 3rd week of school... I was thinking they would be in December. Therefore... I will be studying most of the summer. But that is okay! I think it will be good to have a closer deadline.
My big exam was last night, it took three hours... But just two questions... It was tiring, but I am amazed at how quickly those 3 hours passed... I feel as though a lot of people could not understand how I could study for over a week and not feel prepared for my exam... So I took a picture of my study materials for just my Organizational Theory class... Each of those binders are 3 inch binders that are full of journal articles... Here is the reading list I was tested from... Please know, that the two questions, could come from any of these....So that is why, I may not have answered the phone or responded to all my messages on my birthday...

Meta-theoretical Perspectives, Rational, Natural and Open systems

Scott, W. R. & Davis, G. F. ( 2007): The subject is organizations; the verb is organizing In Scott & Davis Organizations and organizing: Rational, Natural and Open system perspectives, chapter1, 1-34

Tsoukas, H. & Knudsen, C. (2005): The need for meta-theoretical reflection in Organizational Theory.

Starbuck, W. H. (2005). The origins of Organization Theory. In Tsoukas and Knudsen (Eds.)

Scott, W. R. & Davis, G. F. (2007). Organizations as rational systems

Scott, W. R. & Davis, G. F (2007). Organizations as natural systems

Scott, W. R. & Davis, G. F (2007). Organizations as open systems

History and Population Ecology

Smith, Adam (1776) Of the division of labour.

Fayol, Henri (1949) General principles of management

Weber, Max (1946) Bureaucracy.

Blau, P. M. (1970) A formal theory of differentiation in organization.

Hannan, M. T. & Freeman, J. (1977). The population ecology of organizations.

Hannan, M.T. & Freeman, J. (1984) Structural inertia and organizational change.

Carroll, Glenn R. (1984). Organizational ecology.

Baum, J. A. & Oliver, C. (1992). Institutional embeddedness and the dynamics of organizational populations.

Institutional Theory Approaches

Meyer, J., & Rowan, B. (1977) Institutionalized organizations: Formal structure as myth and ceremony.

DiMaggio, P. J., & Powell, W. W. (1983) The iron cage revisited: Institutional isomorphism and collective rationality in organizational field.

DiMaggio, Paul J. and Walter W. Powell. (1991). " The New Institutionalism in Organizational Analysis.

Oliver, Christine (1991) Strategic responses to institutional pressures.

Ingram, P. & Clay, K. (2000) The choice-within-constraints new institutionalism and implications for sociology.

Resource Dependence, Transaction Costs

Scott, R. W. & Davis, G. F. (2007) The dyadic environments of organizations. Chapter 9

Williamson, O. E. (1979). Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractual Relations.

Casciaro, T., & Piskorski, M. J. (2005). Power Imbalance, Mutual Dependence, and Constraint Absorption: A Closer Look at Resource Dependence theory.

Orlikowski, W. J. (1992). The Duality of Technology: Rethinking the Concept of Technology in Organizations

Moran, P. & Ghoshal, S. (1996). Theories of economic organization: The case for realism and balance.

Contingency, Configuration, Congruence

Randolph, W. A. & Dess G. G. (1984) The congruence perspective of organizational design.

Schoonhoven, C.B. (1981) Problems with contingency theory: testing assumptions hidden within the language of contingency "theory".

Venkatraman, N. (1989) The concept of fit in strategy research: toward verbal and statistical correspondence.

Dotty and Glick (1994) Typlogies as a unique form of theory building: toward improved understanding and modeling.

Doty, Glick, and Huber (1993) Fit, equifinality, and organizational effectiveness: a test of two configurational theories.

Meyer, Tsui, and Hinings (1993) Introduction: configurational approaches to organizational analysis.

Systems theory, Complexity theory

von Bertalanffy, L. (1950) An Outline of General System Theory.

Ericson, R. F. (1972) Visions of Cybernetic Organizations

Anderson, P. (1999). Complexity Theory and Organization Science.

Boisot, M. & Child, J. (1999). Organizations as Adaptive Systems in Complex Environments: The Case of China. Organization Science

McKinley, W. (1993). Organizational Decline and Adaptation: Theoretical Controversies

Thietart, R. A., & Forgues, B. (1995). Chaos theory and organization.

Organizational Networks, Relationships, Sense making

Salancik, G. R. (1995) Review: WANTED: A Good Network Theory of Organization

Granovetter, M. (1983). The Strength of Weak Ties: A Network Theory Revisited

Ring, P.S. & Van de Ven, A.H. (1994) Developmental process of cooperative interorganization relations.

Levine, S. and White, P.E. (1961) Exchange as a conceptual framework for the study of interorganizational relations.

Weick, K., Sutcliffe, K., & Obstfeld, D. ( 2005). Organizing and the process of sensemaking.

Weick, K. ( 1993). The collapse of sensemaking in organizations: The Mann Gulch disaster.

Power and Politics in Organizations

Emerson, R. (1962). Power-dependence relations.

Hickson, D., Hinings, C. R., Lee, C.A., Schneck, R.E. & Pennings, J.M. (1971). A strategic contingency theory of intraorganizational power.

Child, J. (1972) Organizational structure, environment and performance: the role of strategic choice.

Pfeffer, J. (1992). Understanding Power in Organizations.

Pfeffer, J. & Salancik, G.R. (1974). Organizational decision making as a political process: The case of a university budget.

Wildavsky, A. (1972). The Self-Evaluating Organization.

Organizational Change, Learning and Adaptation

Carlile, P. R. (2004). Transferring, translating, and transforming: An integrative framework for managing knowledge across boundaries.

Huber, G. (1991). Organizational learning: The contributing processes and the literature.

Barnett, W., & Sorenson, O. (2003). The Red Queen in organizational creation and development.

Meyer, A.D. 1982. Adapting to environmental jolts.

Romanelli, E. & Tushman, M. L. (1994) Organizational transformation as punctuated equilibrium: An empirical test.

Dooly, K. J. (1997). A Complex Adaptive Systems Model of Organization Change

Plowman, D. A., Baker, L. T., Beck, T. W., Kulkarni, M., Solanski, S. T., & Travis, D. V. (2007). Radical Change Accidentally: The emergence and amplification of small change.

Multilevel and Methodological issues

Klein, K. & Kozlowski, S. W. J. (2000). Multilevel Theory, Research, and Methods in Organizations: Foundations, Extensions, and New Directions.

Dansereau, F., Yammarino, F. J. & Kohles, J. C. (1999). Multiple Levels of Analysis from a Longitudinal Perspective: Some Implications for Theory Building.

Miller, D., & Friesen, P. H. (1982). The longitudinal analysis of organizations: A methodological perspective.

Street, C. T. & Gallupe, R. B. (2009) A Proposal for Operationalizing the Pace and Scope of Organizational Change in Management Studies.

Grant, A. M. & Wall, T. D. (2009) The Neglected Science and Art of Quasi-Experimentation: Why-to, When-to, and How-to Advice for Organizational Researchers.

McKelvey, B. (2006). Response: Van de Ven and Johnson’s “Engaged scholarship”: Nice try but….

Major Debates in Organizational Theory

Astley, W.G. and Van de Ven, A.H. (1983) Central perspectives and debates in organization theory.

Ulrich, D. & Barney, J. (1984) Perspectives on organizations: resource dependence, efficiency, and population.

Cannella, A. A., &. Paetzold, R. L. (1994) Pfeffer's Barriers to the Advance of Organizational Science: A Rejoinder

Scherer, A. G. (2005) Micro and macro perspectives in organization theory: A tale of incommensurability. I n Tsoukas and Knudsen (Eds.)

Swedburg, R. (2002). Economic versus Sociological approaches to organization theory. I n Tsoukas and Knudsen (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Organizational Theory, 373-391

Ghoshal, S. (2005). Bad management theories are destroying good management.

New Developments, Future Trends

Burrell, G. (2005). The future of Organization Theory – Prospects and Limitations. In Tsoukas and Knudsen (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Organizational Theory, 525-535

Clegg, S. (2005). Managing Organization futures in a changing world of power/knowledge. In Tsoukas and Knudsen (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Organizational Theory, 536-567

Lewin, A., Volberda, H. W. (2005). The future of organization studies – Beyond the selection-adaptation debate. In Tsoukas and Knudsen (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Organizational Theory, 568-595.*

Campbell, J. L. (2007). Why would corporations behave in socially responsible ways? An institutional theory of corporate social responsibility.

Raisch, S., Birkinshaw, J., Probst, G., & Tushman, M. L. (2009). Organizational Ambidexterity: Balancing Exploitation and Exploration for Sustained Performance.

Wolfe, R. A., Weick, K. E., Usher, J. M., Terborg, J. R., Poppo, L., Murrell, A. J., Dukerich, J. M., Core, D. C., Dickson, K. E., & Jourdan, J. S. (2005). Sport and Organizational Studies: Exploring Synergy

M


·

No comments:

Post a Comment